How-To-Hire-A-Lawyer.com provides information to clients about how to choose the best attorney for your matter. Not all attorneys are honest or qualified to handle your case. When you are hiring a lawyer, treat the experience like you are hiring an expensive employee. Interview several candidates and choose the one with whom you are most comfortable.
Some questions you can ask are:
1) How many cases or matters like mine have you handled?
2) If your case is a litigation matter, you should ask how many cases the lawyer has tried before a jury. Many lawyers are afraid to take the risk of going to trial or don’t have the money to finance a trial, and you want to make sure you have an attorney that is willing and able to try your case if necessary.
3) Have any complaints ever been filed against you with the state bar?
4) How long have you been licensed? How long have you been practicing?
5) What are your areas of expertise?
6) What support staff do you have at your law firm?
7) Are you going to be the primary lawyer on my case, or is some young associate at your law firm going to handle the matter?